Monday, December 8, 2014

Grand Illusion Part 2 Link Up

Happy Monday everyone!  Hope everyone is enjoying the season.  Our house is decorated for Christmas and the outside lights are up.  My sweet husband surprised me last Monday with all the outside lights up and shining brightly when I arrived home from work.  It was totally unexpected and made my heart sing.  I hope someone or something makes your heart sing this week.

Here we are again on link up Monday at Quiltville.  This was an interesting block.  I am glad I followed instructions and read all the way through before getting started.  I opted for the Easy Angle version.  I am getting much better with it and love how quickly I am able to cut and sew.

I don't know what Bonnie is planning with the latest block but when you put them together by rotating them a quarter turn they sure make an interesting design.  I've only made six part 2 blocks so far but I made progress on part 1 and have 30 of those blocks done.




I did make one adjustment to the cutting instructions.  It just worked better for me.  When cutting the triangles the instructions say "righties cut with fabric strips right side up."  I did a few that way but was have trouble aligning with my neutrals.  I turned my strips over, right side down, and cut a few.






Now when I place my triangle on my background fabric the points line up as shown in the picture. It also eliminates two dog ears that need trimming.

This is just something that worked for me.  If you try it just do a couple to see if it works for you.






I bet you are wondering what this picture has to do with Grand Illusion.  Well nothing, but if you follow Bonnie at Quiltville you know all about "leader/enders."   This is my current leader/ender project.  They finish at 3".  I love nine patch blocks.  They are happy little things that may be used in a lot of ways.  Right now I have no plans for them.  It is just fun revisiting fabric scraps and making happy little blocks.  Click here  if you would like to know more about leader/ender projects.
I plan to cut all the rest of my pieces for Part 1 and Part 2 this week.  Then when I have five or ten minutes before work or before bed or when sleep eludes me, I can just sit and sew.  I am really looking forward to the next part.  See you then.  And to get back to the part 2 linky party click here.
Joyfully piecing,
Terry  

3 comments: